Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Only the lonely...

Watershed week. After near n. breakdown on Thursday evening (and good cry) things have very much started to turn around. Went to Aus. Day Ball at Trump hotel downtown on Saturday evening after a good long bitch with my very funny hairdresser that same afternoon. Hairdresser is Brenda, her mother is SWEDISH (can't spell the S. chef noise but that's what I'm thinking - Muppets) and her father is GREEK (Fiddler on the Roof soundtrack). She is a great source of reality as she has travelled extensively (for and American) and is very down to Earth. She has many non yank clients and her std. line for putting them at ease is "Americans are Stupid' - no kidding! She does the hair cut not the colour which is as you would realise very high maintenance. The ball was glam. event arrived in (hideous) stretch limo as ordered by Australian people from few suburbs down the lake that came over on New year's Day. I was excited to discover 'chef' for the evening was Simon Bryant who IS THE CHEF with Ms. Beer on 'the cook and the chef'.....but food was just OK. Won't go into dets except to say that the desert (sticky date pudding) seriously resembled a giant dog poo. They made it in a cylindrical mould and plated it cut on the diagonal. Not pretty - lucky it tasted better than it looked! Had fab. time talking to lots of sad souls and danced wildly - hit the head of Westfield for Mid West US. in the face with one of my strange wiggly hand moves (whoops).. that sort of thing. Mark was very impressed with my lack of normal reservation ! Still talking about it! must have been relaxed but you will be proud to know NOT pissed !
Funny thing was, I met about half a dozen other Australian women, and ALL of them are miserable! Even though this was sad, I now feel so much better that it's not just Me! xxx

2 comments:

Kylie said...

Yah for you babe!!! This is what you have to do. You have to get out there and meet people - good, bad, funny, weird - doesn't matter. It's human contact and eventually you'll make a community :) Kx

p.s. (So proud of you 4 not getting pissed!)

Corina said...

greetings ladies...
this is such a lovely way to share , and I hope you don't mind me rubber necking...what caught my eye is that I consider myself a Brissie girl although I haven't lived there in decades, and I'm currently living in the US too. Looking forward to getting to know you better,
Corina